Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Labrador is at the Emergency Center

I gave the back story yesterday and it is in the previous post.

After the plumber came by the house, around 2 ish, I fed the kids and around 5 we drove to see Kahn Sol at the Emergency Care Veterinarian in Newport News.
Apparently I had missed a phone call.  I had spoken to the vet on call in the morning and he had said Kahn Sol was in a lot of pain and very "mopey" and not eating yet and he wanted to do a second set of xrays as he didn't feel this was a straight case of pancreatitis.  So I authorized the xrays  I guess they saw inflammation around the pancreas and possibly a mass.  So when I visited yesterday and spoke with the Vet who had taken over for the evening shift she said that an abdominal ultra sound was needed to proceed.  Their internist on call would not be able to do that until Monday or Tuesday.  But there is a facility near Richmond that could do it.  I decided I'd move him to Richmond today, Sunday, but as I sat there petting my big boy I decided I wasn't going to get any sleep so I might as well move him right away.

Selfish, yes.

So around 7:45 PM I loaded my 4 yr old, 7 yr old, and my big black lab into my minivan and left Newport News and headed to Richmond to the Veterinary Referral and Critical Care.  Of course, this clinic is on "the other side" of Richmond which means you have to drive around your back and under your elbow to get there.  [You know the expression, I'm trying not to be too offensive here.]

We got there at 9:30 PM.  The very kind (and rather hot) Dr. Boyd was on call.  Hey, I'm upset about my dog and married but I'm not blind!  Any way-  We waited about 2 hours, but it is a true Emergency Room set up.  While I was there two Dachshunds came in with thrown out backs.  A nine month old puppy who had pins in her knees was leaving after having broken one of the pins and receiving care.  There was a lot going on.  They have kids books in the reception area and take you straight into a triage room upon arrival.  

It was decided that they would continue to give my dog fluid via the catheter, they would continue to give him pain killers through the catheter and he would be transferred to their resident internist for an ultra sound today.

I stopped at Wawa for a coffee and a donut and arrived home at 1 AM.  This is insane!  But this dog has gotten me through so much and I'm not ready to let him go.  And I cannot take him home yet, he isn't drinking water or eating on his own. 

The vet did tell me that it may or may not have been the rawhide.  So I'm letting that go.  He also said that in his opinion this is normal, I mean I am within the age rage to continue to seek care for the dog.  The dog is 9 years old, that breed's expectancy is 12 to 14.  We will see what the sonogram says today. I am trying to prepare myself for a worst case scenario while hoping for the best case scenario.  And no more midnight rides!




yeah, he's spoiled

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Best of luck with your situation. Pets are family with us as well.