Saturday, March 8, 2014

Rock Candy: Yummy Crystals (a science project)

I have been wanting to try salt or sugar crystal "making" since getting out the growing crystals kit M received on her birthday.  So tonight it was just myself and the two younger girls in the house and we decided to try to make "Rock Candy." I used a recipe from about.com : Rock Candy and usually I just jump into these things but this time I read several comments that insisted the ratio needed to be 3:1. I am assuming by 3:1 they mean 3 sugar to 1 water, that is what we did. 2 cups of water, boiling and stirred in 6 cups of sugar.  But not quite, my pot got full around 5 and 3/4 cups of sugar.
I asked M if she wanted to add flavoring and she decided on vanilla. But there was so much solution that after pouring about 1/2 out I added some cinnamon.

This was fun.  The girls noticed that the more sugar was dissolved and the more saturated the solution became the more the spoon was pushed back at them while they were stirring. They played with pushing it down to the bottom of the pot and then relaxing and letting the solution push it back out.

We are going to watch a movie and then we will check on our little experiment and see if we can see anything.  The recipe says the crystals won't start to form for 2 to 4 hours!



science is yummy

So. We did get to see the crystals, sugar forms rectangular crystals, and the girls did sample them. But as you can see in the first picture, our crystals stuck to the glass as much or more than they did to the stick. A friend of mine said we really should use string.  She remembers when you could buy candy in Colonial Williamsburg that was made the "old way" and their rock candy came on a string. Something to thing about.

Now I have to figure out how to clean the crystals off the glass. I need those glasses!



No comments: