Friday, June 20, 2014

Hanging out in Texas

My brother is something else. He got up bright and early this morning and hung out with my 4 year old, made the kids pancakes, and then took K, Tiger, Dragon and my nephew out for a run, not sure how far they went. Maybe 2-3 miles? And then played soccer till it got too hot and the kids quit. We watched a a World Cup game, my sister in law provided tons of blankets and the kids built forts, and then mid afternoon we drove to Shepherd AFB.

Shepherd is a training base. My brother commands a squadron there. So he took us in to see the weather control group (I don't know any official military terms) but as you might imagine weather is pretty important when flying. He also took us into the radar room where the air traffic controllers keep an eye on all the planes in the air. That was really interesting. And then up to the tower where those controllers monitor take off and landing. And then out to see some planes. As one of the planes was going through their check; checking flaps, brakes, and so on; my brother said to me, don't you love that smell? Meaning the fuel. A light bulb went off in my head. I did! And further, it is similar to the smell from the machine shop floor that used to follow my husband when we were dating. I never really noticed it and one day his mom said something about his clothes smelling like the machines, and how when she came to visit she washed and washed them to get the smell out and I'd said that I kind of liked it. He was a mechanical engineer in an automotive plant when we met. Being out there in summer heat with planes making all that noise and taxing out to the runway always makes me feel like I am home. At the end of the day I'm not really from anywhere, but I am such an Air Force Brat.

1 comment:

troutbirder said...

Lots of occupation have certain smells. This one is unique....:)