Tuesday, June 17, 2014

the summer trip

It will look something like this:


I will be driving the kids (and the dogs!) out to Texas to see my brother and then onward to Oregon. We are adding in a glimpse of the Grand Canyon. After a few days at my brothers I was supposed to drive to NM and meet my husband who was supposed to fly into Albuquerque NM. From there we'd visit the Grand Canyon and finish up the trip together. BUT one of the guys at work has put in for time off that week and since they are the only two on a particular project... my husband is needed at work. One of these days I will take a vacation and my husband will actually be there the entire time, without getting any last minute phone calls or having to work while I drive. So yay me, I'm driving 3,675 miles this summer. And then I get to drive back.

Whining aside, I am looking forward to it.

I enjoy a good road trip. My kids are remarkably good sports about traveling. And I'm headed back on the side of the Mississippi I am most comfortable on. Maybe I won't drive back...

***

I've modified this trip. I think we are going to drive across Hoover Dam. And then instead of driving up North through Nevada I'm going to try to hit Bakersfield California and drive up from there. Should be good.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I take trips with just my kids, but this is a lot of driving!

troutbirder said...

Oh my. That's such a long trek. Still Oregon is gorgeous and so many interesting environments. Now I'd like to head east to go to Williamsburg and revisit it. We had one of our best trips ever there some years ago. I sat next to George W. in the House of Burgesses, met Thomas Jeffersons teachers, got in a slight public tiff with Patrict Henry and met Martha who was planning a trip to Valley, Forge in Penn.....:)