Monday, July 7, 2014

Mirror Lake Hike

This is one of my favorite hikes out here. I laugh at myself for saying that, there are so many hikes in this area that I haven't tried yet! But I really do enjoy this hike.
We went on Sunday after the kids skied in the morning (M tried GS skis by Bomber and loved them! I'm hoping to get her to give me a guest post about them tonight.)
The hike is on what I consider to be a moderate trail. It is about a mile and a half to the lake, up. The trail is easy to follow, no climbing, but there are roots and rocks. My 4 year old and my 7 year old both walked all the way up, and all the way back down. But whenever anybody got excited and ran, they almost always tripped over something. I think if your kids are hikers this is not a hard trail, if your kids are not used to hiking it might take a while. Remember you are at altitude, bring water & sunscreen! Oh, and you can buy a $5 day or $30 annual recreation pass so you can park at the trail heads. The General Store in Govy Camp sells them but I'm sure they are available all over the place.
There are fish and crawfish and I don't know what else in the lake, and there are campsites in the area too.

 
little guy & daddy

Bitsy has gotten good at getting the older girls to let her hang out!


Traditionally the kids on the ski team swim across the lake. We got there a little late this time and missed it. I think K swam across, I don't know if Dragon or M did. Dragon brought his fishing pole and took off to a less populated area to practice fly fishing. He caught a trout and something he dubbed "some kind of native fish."

All part of Summer Ski Camp with the Wintergreen Winter Sports Team.

No comments: