Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Our (mostly) Vegan Thanksgiving

People often ask us what we eat for holidays especially for Thanksgiving; after all, for most households Thanksgiving revolves around a family meal that revolves around turkey. Prior to my husband announcing that he was vegan and he wanted the family to move in that direction as well, I always pretended the turkey was the main dish but pretty much lived for my mom's cranberry jello salad and french silk pie. As the pie has eggs in it, raw ones, that has gone by the way side with all this vegan eating but the jello remains! woo hoo. (back story, my McDonald's loving husband goes vegan cold turkey, no pun intended, here )

Okay, back to dinner.


Yes there is food, lots of it. We still make green bean casserole, just not with heavy cream and butter. (Wit and Vinegar has a good recipe here) My mom still makes her cranberry jello salad. There was red cabbage because my husband really likes it and corn and asparagus and mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce and stuffing and what my husband calls "vegetable strudel." Basically pan fried veggies rolled in fillo dough and baked up.

vegetable dinner, vegetable strudel, thanksgiving
Tim's Veggie Strudel


vegan thanksgiving
Our Vegan Thanksgiving, lots of color

vegan soup, butternut squash soup, thanksgiving
Butternut Squash Soup in Grandma's dishes
And pies, apple, pecan and pumpkin. I found a website called The Vegetarian Snob while looking for a pecan recipe. And I downloaded their Thanksgiving ebook and made "Homemade Bourbon Vegan Pecan Pie without Corn Syrup" wow. Delicious! I also made their Butternut Squash soup recipe, well they have more than one. I made "The Comforting Coconut and Butternut Squash Fall Soup" which everybody loved. Sometimes mom makes pie crust but this year we went with Immaculate Baking Pie Crust which does have whey (milk) and a whole lot of fat too, but was yummy!

apple pie, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, vegan pie, thanksgiving
Yay for Pie!
Yes we need more pie plates!




No comments: