Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Lil Monster

I was out walking on a great trail in Williamsburg. I don't know if it has a name, it is the trail that runs around WISC, the sports complex. The littles were at a soccer camp and after dropping them off I took the German Shepherd out for a lovely run/walk. We stopped when we saw this beauty:


larva, regal moth, hickory horned devil, citheronia regalis, williamsburg, virginia


I put my hand next to it so you could see how big it is!
That is one large bug.
I follow a young lady on Instagram called @bchkid https://instagram.com/bchkid/?hl=en
she is an entomologist and she identified the little beastie as a
Citheronia Regalis



also called a regal moth or a hickory horned devil, here is a bit more on the Citheronia Regalis in case you are interested

I'm sharing this with A Southern Day Dreamer's Outdoor Wednesday crew

3 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Wow, that is one strange bug!

Great to hear from you. My son also has guttate psoriasis. Do you have any suggestions for things that are helpful for you? We have been trying all sorts of ideas. The sun seems to help more than anything.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, what a cool looking caterpillar. I like the colors, great shots. Enjoy your day!

CailinMarie said...

Lisa - what has worked best for me is sun and keeping humidity at bay (huge) and keeping away from mold. Best external medication was tar based. Nothing I took internally worked and when I was on them they were experimental so they had to keep tabs on my liver. Sounds weird but diaper cream offered some relief. In my 20's Dovonex came out - that actual works. But I don't know it's safety rating for kids. In my late 30's I got strep pretty bad the psoriasis flared so bad there wasn't any normal skin on my body anyplace and they put me on a crazy round of antibiotics because guttate psoriasis is thought to have to do with strep (did your son have strep at some point?) and they thought maybe I hadn't kicked it yet. That actually worked really well. And I haven't had a big flair since then. In High School they had me on erythromycin for years. I don't recommend it. About 2 years ago I took a 3 month vegan challenge with my husband and I noticed a HUGE difference- it was virtually gone. Vegan is a lot to ask of a little guy, but try limiting dairy as much as possible and also limiting sugar. Psoriasis in general is related to Candida (which is yeast) and yeast loves sugar. It is a frustrating thing, but hopefully you can keep it enough under control that it is just a nuisance and not too big a part of his life.