Monday, August 24, 2015

Yay for Beach Week


Once again the family headed to the Shipyard in Hilton Head, South Carolina for a week. It is a beautiful place.

It also has Alligators. We love the alligators. They are a novelty to us - don't see them in Tidewater Virginia very often. We respect them, we keep our distance, and the kids really get a kick out of seeing them.

the shipyard, hilton head, 2015, alligator, south carolina
Practically the back yard, we can see this big guy from the condo's porch

Gator is in there, look closely
Alligator, South Carolina, Shipyard, Hilton Head, football, don't litter
yes, that is a football
There was a football in the water. The gator saw it and decided to try it. It seemed to have gotten stuck on the gator's tooth. It sat in that spot with a football in it's mouth all day. Just before dark it managed to let the ball go. We went and retrieved the ball so no other animal would decide to eat it.

stuck, gator, alligator, football, hilton head, shipyard, 2015

Don't throw stuff in the water. You never know who or what will decide to try it. I was worried about that gator, if it had swallowed the ball it might have really hurt itself.

love watching the black birds dry their wings
I'm not a birder, I think that bird might be a Comorant? They have webbed feet and they walk in the water, presumably to fish. When we take bike rides we see them drying their wings. It is one of my favorite sights.

We spent our time at the beach, at the pool, and biking. There was one golf outing but the kids can golf at home so it isn't a big deal.

I have never really understood the lure of the pool when you have an ocean available. But my kids love it. Especially when they are little. So we'd head out to the beach in the morning, come back mid afternoon when it was too hot, and hit the pool.

Hilton Head, Pool, Shipyard, Kingston Cove, Island Management
Splishin' Splashin'


And we ride our bikes. A lot. We really don't ride bicycles as a family very much the rest of the year but we pack in a lot of bike hours during our beach week. I think all the kids have learned to ride their bikes in Hilton Head!

bike riding, shipyard, hilton head, bike lights, 2015, kids on bikes
riding home for supper


On the days it rained we played poker (for candy) and Yahtzee. And read books. I picked up
I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. I hadn't heard anything about it and was standing in the CVS looking at a bunch of Romances (ugh) and found it. I grew up on Clancy (yes, I skipped all the technical references) and am a fan of Vince Flynn and I enjoy a good spy novel. So I thought I'd give it a try. So glad I did.

We are now all home in one piece and I'm supposed to be filing paper work and tidying up loose ends before school starts. Bah Humbug.

linking up with Smiling Sally for Blue Monday 




2 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Hi CalinMarie,

What a nice vacation! The story of the football-grabbing alligator is fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

We have alligators here, plenty of gators. They can be quite dangerous.

Happy Blue Monday!

bj said...

So glad for you to have the last summer fling before school started.
All our grands started back today and they all, every one, sure had looong faces.
And, I don't like seeing alligators AT ALL....scary...and I'm a sissy. :)