Saturday, December 12, 2015

A Pink Nightgown for Clara

It is time for the Nutcracker!
We love our dance company's annual Nutcracker, this year my daughter is a mouse.

Wednesday we had technical rehearsal on the stage - and while there I discovered that one of our Clara's didn't get her costume finished. or started for that matter. The mother had purchased pink organza and taken it to someone who had said she'd make a costume based off of another costume in the studio - and it didn't get done. This mom had asked me if I would sew it and I'd been reluctant - organza is slippery stuff and I don't have a lot of experience with it. But now here we are, ready for the show, and Clara has something to wear but not what she'd expected to wear. How frustrating. So I asked if she'd let me give it a go...

Thursday night I'd gotten this far:




I stopped when I realized I'd sewn the sleeves upside down.
I needed to attend the Elementary School Winter Concert anyway.


after the concert I added the skirt. The white one is the old costume I was using as a pattern.


Friday I took my sewing machine with me and sat backstage and finished the sleeves
and hem and added velcro (fast changes)

Clara's mom took it home to sew in some flowers on the bodice and press it.

fastest project ever!





2 comments:

Adam said...

I think the last time I saw the nutcracker I was in elem. school. I don't remember much of it at all

Jeanne said...

Oh my, you are a life savor. How sweet of you to step up to the challenge. The costume is beautiful in pink. I love the Nutcracker and would have loved to be there. I took all five of my children to the Nutcracker years ago and not one of them remember going. It was a huge production and a huge budget breaker. LOL. I sure enjoyed it though.

xo
Jeanne