Thursday, July 21, 2016

Korean Dolls / Silla Crown

I bought these dolls at one of the local thrift stores a while ago. I was excited to find them. I sometimes will see a Korean or Japanese doll in one of the stores, presumably from a military family's travels and subsequent closet cleaning in later years, but usually it is a single female figure. I am not sure that I've ever seen a couple. I am guessing this is a bridal pair. But I have no basis for that guess. Just the positioning of the dolls and the Hanbok which is often still worn for wedding ceremonies but could just as easily mean nothing as this is a pair of dolls, possibly created specifically for tourists. I don't know.

doll, collectable, korean doll, bridal couple, silla crown, han bok
Korean Doll Couple

Aren't they sweet? And then one day I realized that the man's head piece was reminding me of something I'd seen before. There is a crown in the Nation Museum of Korea (I was lucky enough to visit in 2011) from the 5th Century.
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/ATR/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=268137


Crown, Silla, 5th Century
photo taken of a page in the catalog
from the National Museum of Korea


I can see a reference to the shapes in the Silla Crown in this headpiece. I find it very interesting that the doll maker chose to reference this rather fantastic 5th century piece and I wonder if it has to do with the timing of the discovery of the crown. The Korean Times article points out that the crown was first shown in Seoul in 1974, right after being discovered. 



1 comment:

Betty said...

Very interesting couple. I'm a doll person so I thoroughly enjoyed seeing and reading about your thrift store find.